Thursday, July 7, 2016

The Struggle of Being a Middle Child



Being a middle child is not as fun as people imagine. You might think that being a middle child is a good thing because you have an older sibling and a younger one. Let me tell you that it’s not 100% true. Everything was perfect until your mom gave birth to another child and you no longer were the cute little baby in the family. I am a middle child and I’m sure every middle child in this world faces the same problem as I do.

In my case, people in general (including my relatives and friends) tend to compare me with my other siblings and I feel like I always live under the shadow of my older sister. People keep asking me why I don’t want to be like her or why I don’t choose the same path as her. I don’t like being compared because my siblings and I have different talents and abilities, so I think it’s not fair to compare every one of us. I’m so fed up with those comments. People, please. Being different is not a crime. We were born unique and it is actually a good thing. We have different interests and personalities. We live in different bodies with different minds. It’s impossible for me to be like her and vice versa.

Another reason is because middle children always get the hand-me-downs. When my older or younger sibling wants to buy new things, my parents let them buy the things that they want and need. But when it comes to my turn, I always get the thing that previously used by my older sister, for example I wear her clothes and use her school stuff such as bags or books. It’s always been like this: my older sister’s needs are my parents’ number one priority because she studies abroad. My youngest sister’s needs are my parents’ second priority because she’s still in elementary school (basically because she’s the youngest. God, I think being the youngest in the family is the best position). Because of that I have to accept the truth that I will almost always get the hand-me-downs from my older sister.

I like them, though. I am glad I have them as my siblings. But I’m suffering from this middle-child-syndrome. It is not fatal, but it is hard. My older sister is the achiever of the family (she’s the smart one and stuff), my younger sister is the center of attention. And I am here, frustrated, thinking that I might not be good enough and not giving myself enough credits.

If you are a middle child, tell me if you feel the same and don’t worry because you are not alone. We are in the same boat together. We can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment